[Rhodes22-list] OK so how long should it take to rig / unrig ...

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Wed Jul 30 09:09:13 EDT 2008

Rick,

Just be glad ODNR doesn't make you sign the "I'm not a terrorist ... really"
document that we have to sign to register our aircraft in the great state of
Ohio.

Actually ODNR tried to be helpful in my case.  The problem apparently is
that our boat came from Louisiana, which is a state that does not title
boats, to us in Ohio, which does title boats, via Stan in NC, which also
titles boats (since 2007).  We got the boat without a title, but with the LA
registration signed over to me from GB.  ODNR said fine, bring us the boat,
we'll verify the HIN and go from there.  I did that; I towed the boat over
to our local ODNR office, which has a distressingly small parking lot for
maneuvering a Rhodes 22 on a trailer.  They looked at the HIN, gave me a
letter asking the Summit County Clerk of Courts to issue a first time title,
and told me to come back with the title and ODNR would give me a
registration.  Well, the County Clerk of Courts said, no deal .... since GB
owned the boat while it was recycled and NC is a title state, then no NC
title means no OH title.  Stan's fixing things by getting an NC title, so
hopefully we can be "legal" in OH soon.

Interestingly one of the ODNR Watercraft officers told me that I could
"probably" splash the boat with just the bill of sale from GB.  He said that
while I could be cited only a real pr*ck of an officer would do so and I
could "probably" talk my way out of a citation with "most" officers, but I'd
get stopped for sure since the boat has no registration numbers showing.
Sounds so reassuring!  But, I may take my chances and splach anyway - I've
put a copy of the GB bill of sale onboard in a plastic bag to keep it dry
(just a precaution).

I was thinking of using the Cleveland Edgewater ramps so I could play inside
the breakwall if the waves were up too much for my tastes.  You're based
near there IIRC, any comments on places to launch an R22 in/near Cleveland
harbor?  Any comments on how the sailing is behind the breakwall?  I'd
imagine it can get crowded some days.  Any recommendations as to nice places
to tie up the Rhodes and grab a bite to eat along the Cleveland waterfront?

Mike Cheung s/v Muireann 1993 / 2004 / 2008 Rhodes 22