[Rhodes22-list] OK so how long should it take to rig / unrig ...

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jul 29 00:41:02 EDT 2008

Mike C,

We trailered for the first 2 years that we owned our R22.  We are now on a
mooring in the Nissequogue River.  It is so much simpler than trailering,
although the hull was much prettier when she wasn't moored.

We used to rig and launch in under 30 minutes with a 2-man team.  This was
before IMF and mast cranes (and I was only 27.)  The tricks boiled down to a
few simple concepts:

    1. Avoid climbing up and down on and off the boat while on the trailer.
You get tired
            and waste time.  We would perform all boat activities first
(raise mast, rig boom, etc.)
            and then perform all ground level tasks (tongue extension,
rudder prep, etc.)

    2. We tried to leave as many stays connected as possible.  Since we
raised the mast
            manually from the bow, we were able to leave the four forward
stays connected.
            We replaced as many clevis pins with fast pins as possible (rear
side stays, bow
            stay, back stays, etc.)  Fast pins were also used for the anchor
and poptop locks.

    3. We extended the trailer without disconnecting from the vehicle.  We
chocked front and
            rear of trailer wheels, leveled trailer with trailer jack and
pulled the tongue out slowly
            using the vehicle.  Make sure that the helper knows where the
pins go.  Copious
            amounts of fresh grease on the extension helps.  Backing in the
extension was a little
            harder than it is now since we didn't have the guides that you
have now.  BTW, do
            not forget to lubricate the bearing buddies regularly.  Properly
maintained, they last
            forever.

    4. We left the motor on the mount during transit.  Our 2-cycle Suzuki
DT7.5 is fairly light
            and we had a safety line across the stern, under the motor and
rudder, attached to
            the rear docking cleats.  We also locked the tiller using our
tiller tamer, preventing
            swing during driving since there was no need to remove it.

    5. We used velcro sail ties to secure most items for transit, including
the mast.  I tie the
            Genoa to the mast (the GBI furler drum has a hole in the lower
half that can be
            placed on one of the mast cleats to help to secure the Genoa to
the mast.  Any
            loose stays are also secured to the mast using sail ties to
prevent kinks.  We leave the
            jib sheets attached to the Genoa, wrapped around the furled sail
with the furling line
            coiled and secured with a coil tie right to the drum.  This
saves lots of time.  Some
            days we wouldn't rig the Genoa until we were motoring out of the
river into the LIS.
            I have been concerned with the use of bungee cords since they
can release
            unexpectedly.  Ask an eye surgeon about bungee cord eye
injuries - they are very
            dangerous.

Basically, we tried to breakdown only those items that needed to be
disassembled for transit and minimized climbing up and down to trim the
launch/recovery times.  Practice makes the rigging operation second nature.
Youth and the promise of sailing made us move much faster.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Mike Cheung" <mikecheung at att.net>Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 6:57 PM