[Rhodes22-list] Trailer bunk replacement

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:33:25 EDT 2008

The wooden bunks on my 30+ year trailer were rotting and about ready to
break.  I replaced the boards with new 2 X 6 pressure treated lumber.
Figured I post some pictures should anyone else face the same situation.

I bought 3 - 12 foot pieces of lumber.  The two bunks are right at 12
feet long so I didn't need to cut them at all.  The two guides were made
from a single 12 foot long piece cut into appropriate lengths.  The old
hardware (1/2 inch bolts) were rusted solid so I had to cut them off
with a reciprocating saw.   The original bolts had just a lock washer
between the bolt head and the wood.  I added a regular washer and
countersunk the bolt head (connections).  After mounting all the wood,
the bunks looked kind of funny since they were straight across and not
bowed, so I added some tie down straps to force the bunks to bow
(straps).  The bolts that hold the bunks in place are left loose to
allow the boards to move further once the boat is loaded.  I'll tighten
them up once I pull in the fall.  Now one question I do have, if any of
you have your trailer close by, can  you measure the distance between
the two guide pieces (guides)?  I want to make sure that I left enough
room for the keel to fit.  Lastly, I took a picture of the whole
trailer, you can see what 30 years looks like (overall).

I still need to add carpet to the bunks and guides.  I checked the
marine stores, but that stuff's not cheap.  Anyone got any suggestions?
Does regular carpet work?  Maybe the indoor/outdoor stuff?

Rob Lowe

S/V Getaway

1976 Rhodes 22