[Rhodes22-list] Which is Fastest?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sun Jun 1 19:30:59 EDT 2008

Chet,

I have the 175 but if I'm on a close reach I normally only use the full
Genny when winds are between 3 and 6 knots.  After 6 knots you start to heel
too much and you'll go faster by reducing sail and heel.

If I need to head into a 20 knot wind, I usually pull in the sails and use
the Iron Genny, the outboard.  If you can get the boat going 3 knots with
the Genny reefed to jib size or smaller, you can do a complete tack into the
wind in about 4 seconds.  The Rhodes handles like a sportscar.  You need the
board down to help you pivot.  Most important, you need the Genny sheets ran
across the deck or cabin top to get a decent sail shape.  If the sheets are
ran outside the outer shroud, the sail shape will only efficiently let you
do a little better than a beam reach.

Lee