[Rhodes22-list] Met Roger P. on our Shakedown

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 02:29:59 EDT 2008

Sunday, June 1st.  Went for our first sail of the season today.  Temps in
the low 80s, winds light and variable.  We motored about half the time.  We
beached on "Boy Scout Island" and searched the area for morel mushrooms.
This is their time--when the lilacs bloom, after a rain, followed by a hot
day.  But no luck.

After getting under way, from behind me I heard, "STEVE!!!"  I looked around
and saw a paddler in a kayak.

"Zachu, Roger?" I yelled but I knew damn well who it was.

I hove to and himself boarded Fandango (demonstrating his deluxe kayak to
Rhodes equilibrium boarding system) and we offered him beer and snacks as we
drifted and chatted for about a half hour.  This week his wife, Deb is out
of school in MI and coming to be with him for the summer.  Son, Gary has
been hired by the Madison, WI police dept.  Roger is still traveling the
world with his position at Emerson and is talking wistfully how it's four
more years until he can retire and move back home to Sanford.  Dynamic
Equilibrium is still on the hard getting a bottom job.  We did not mention
"da list."

For those newbies who weren't here then, Roger was a prolific contributor to
the list before he got tired of the political banter and left a couple years
ago.

But we're near full-pond at the lake and all systems GO on Fandango's
shakedown--let the good times roll!!!

And that's all the news that's fit to print from Lake Minnetonka.

Slim