[Rhodes22-list] Tell Congress to Schedule a Vote on Clean Boating Act

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Jun 2 12:10:44 EDT 2008

Dear Rhodies,

Unless Congress passes the Clean Boating Act (HR 5949 / S 2766) before September 30, 2008, every recreational boater in the country will have to obtain a federal or state permit just to operate their boat or face $32K fines each day of operation.  For further info, please see:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/alert_0308.asp

We have only 9 weeks left for the Congress to pass these bills to exclude recreational boaters from the EPA reg.  Please send a letter or email to you US Senators and House Representative to urge them to pass these bills quickly this summer.  Both bills are out of committee already.

E-mail addresses for Senators may be found at http://www.boatblue.org/takeaction.aspx.  Sample text is below (http://www.boatblue.org/takeaction.aspx) for those who would like to just copy and paste

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

Sample text (http://www.boatblue.org/takeaction.aspx):

  Re: Please Schedule and Pass the Clean Boating Act this Summer

  Dear Senator (or Representative):

  I am asking you to request from Congressional leaders in both parties to quickly schedule H.R. 5949/S. 2766 for a vote so Congress can enact the Clean Boating Act well before Sept. 30, 2008. Without enactment before Sept. 2008, recreational boaters will face punitive, costly and unnecessary new federal and state regulations for their everyday, non-harmful water-based overboard discharges.
  Recreational boating is one of the most enjoyable American pastimes for 73 million boaters nationwide to spend time together outside enjoying our natural treasures with friends and family.  But, unless Congress enacts the Clean Boating Act by Sept. 30, 2008, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will be forced by a court order to implement sweeping, costly and complex new regulations on America's everyday boaters. The court decision was focused on ballast water from commercial ships, but recreational boaters got swept up in the decision even though they don't have ballast water.

  The House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee and the Senate Environment & Public Works Committee unanimously passed the Clean Boating Act in May.  As a boater and a constituent, I am asking you to do what you can to quickly move this commonsense, bipartisan bill and  pass it. Otherwise, the estimated 18 million recreational boats in this country will be subjected to sweeping new regulations and permit requirements intended for industrial facilities and commercial ships with ballast water tanks, exposing boaters to $32,500 per day fines, criminal penalties and citizen lawsuits.
  Please support and urge quick action on H.R. 5949/S. 2766, the Clean Boating Act.  Congress has a chance to do something positive for recreational boaters, anglers, and the American marine industry. Please work on our behalf to pass this simple, bipartisan consensus bill.

  Thank you,