[Rhodes22-list] which is fastest,hook in the rear

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jun 2 12:11:43 EDT 2008

At 11:53 AM 6/2/2008 -0400, KUHN, LELAND wrote:
>"Recap-I'm singlehanding,in 25mphwind,full jib,1/8 of a mile from the
>lee shore,and it's time to go forward and unfoul the furling line..."
>
>I hate it when that happens!  Things like that seem to happen to me all
>the time, and when I'm singlehandling, there's no one around to blame!

I changed my furling line from a jam cleat to a regular rope clutch
for that very reason.  In the jam cleat it was too easily knocked
loose during frantic activity (with predictable, if not exciting,
results).  I feel much better about it now.

Also FYI - I read somewhere recently that checking the furling line
for chafe points should be a more regular activity for most of
us.  That's another way it gets loose unintentionally and at the worst time.

Cheers!

John Lock