[Rhodes22-list] which is fastest,hook in the rear

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 16:27:28 EDT 2008

Lee, I have been getting that problem recently - long story - not a design fault.  I found that heaving to is the best solution to fix the problem.  You may want to get off the lee shore some more before doing that.  Bob Weber> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:53:24 -0400> From: LKUHN at cnmc.org> To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] which is fastest,hook in the rear> > > > Jerry,> > "Recap-I'm singlehanding,in 25mphwind,full jib,1/8 of a mile from the> lee shore,and it's time to go forward and unfoul the furling line..."> > I hate it when that happens! Things like that seem to happen to me all> the time, and when I'm singlehandling, there's no one around to blame!> > Lee> 1986 Rhodes22 At Ease> Kent Island, MD> > "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good> sailor to do it drunk."> > Sir Francis Chichester while loading his boat with gin.> > > > From: cjlowe at sssnet.com [mailto:cjlowe at sssnet.com] > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:27 PM> To: The Rhodes 22 mail list> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] which is fastest,hook in the rear> > I sailed Friday after work,winds were 8-15mph,with not much gusting> until> I threw out the hook for the night.Therwas an 80% chance of rain and> thunder storms for the night,so I put up the pop-top enclosure and> played around with anchoring from the stern.and from the bow.The part of> the lake I was on is about 2 mi. long and 3/4 of a mile wide, not enough> fetch to build a wave that could come over the stern,in anything less> than a tornado.She seemed to sail around the anchor a little less when> anchored from the stern,plus the bimini made a nice wind scoop to force> air in the back window of the PTE,and keep the rain out. The wind was> gusting from 25-30 mph at times during the night,and a few hard blasts> let a little rain spray under the bimini,and just a little mist came in> the rear window of the PTE (which was wide open).I can't believe how> dry the PTE is in a hard rain,nice job,Stan.> Saturday afternoon the wind really piped up,10-25mph with gusts over> 30mph. I was going to start out with about 40% of the jib,but the> furling line slipped out of my hand and I got all 135% of the sail,and> just for good measure,the line wrapped around the anchor holding bracket> and retaining pin,totally fouling the furling line.Recap-I'm> singlehanding,in 25mphwind,full jib,1/8 of a mile from the lee shore,and> it's time to go forward and unfoul the furling line. Got her turned> into the wind enough to flog the sail, locked the tiller,ran> forward,unfouled the line,ran back,furled the sail to 40%,unlocked the> tiller , jibed and started crabbing away from the lee shore,with almost> 30 feet to spare.I never got more than 60% of the jib out all> afternoon,moved around pretty good,but couldn't make good to> weather.Furled the jib back to 40% and drug out 40% of the main.Started> to make a little good to weather,but didn't seem to gain any> speed,however,in the gusts,I was able to wash the side ports and ship a> little water into the cockpit,before she would round up and flog the> sails.On the next two tacks ,I rerouted the jib sheets between the inner> and outer stays,and it helped a litttle,but the wind kept on> building.After 4 more jibes(I couldn't tack anymore),I got in a good> enough position to run for the channel back to the marina.> My guess is the full genny got you the most speed.> > Jerry Lowe> > Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended > recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. > If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.> > __________________________________________________> Use Rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org, Help? www.rhodes22.org/list