[Rhodes22-list] Mushrooms

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 16:55:31 EDT 2008

Bill,

There are plenty of picture books to help you identify the various species.
'Shrooms come in all different shapes, colors and sizes.  They also grow in
varying but specific situations.  In the case of the Morel, if it's this
time of year in MN and you see one growing from a rotting elm tree and it
looks like a human brain in its appearence, it really can't be anything else
but the coveted morel.  I'm not really a big mushroom eater but these are
different.  Sauteed in a little butter is all you need do.  Try them if you
get the chance.  I think it's illegal to sell them comercially and the
hunters guard their secret locations, so they're quite rare.

http://thegreatmorel.com/

There is something called a "false morel" which looks similar but it grows
in the sand and/or from pine trees and has a different season.

Another example:  If you're walking through a cow pasture in southern
Florida in the spring just after a rain and it's a steamy afternoon and you
see one growing out of a "cow pie" and it has a big golden cap with a thin
black fringe and a blueish stem,  you don't even have to eat it--just handle
it with your bare skin and soon the cows will start talking to you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushrooms

Slim