[Rhodes22-list] Joke -- The virile rooster -- Sorry if you've seen it already

Tom Bickerstaff tabick at mchsi.com
Tue Jun 3 19:41:42 EDT 2008

Hank's story reminds me of another rooster tale (tail?)

John the farmer was in the fertilized egg business.  He had several hundred
young layers (hens), called 'pullets', and ten roosters whose job it was to
fertilize the eggs.

John kept records and any rooster that didn't perform went into the soup pot
and was replaced.  His favorite rooster was Old Butch, a fine specimen. But
one particular morning, John noticed Old Butch lying face up in the middle
of the yard.  John went over to investigate and came to the conclusion that
Butch had died either of over-exertion or plain old age.

John knew he had to replace Butch, but was concerned that the new rooster
wouldn't hold a match to Old Butch.  When he went to the breeder, John asked
for the most virile ("vee-rile") rooster the breeder had.  The breeder
assured him that "Henry" was the most virile rooster he'd ever seen.  John
bought Henry and took him home.

The very next morning, the other nine roosters all lay dead in the yard,
pecked to death.  On his front porch, John watched in amazement as Henry
proceeded to service every single one of the pullets.  Afterwards, John went
out to Henry and said "Son, you'd better slow down or you're going to do
yourself in!"

The next morning, John sat on his front porch again and watched in total
amazement as Henry serviced all of the pullets and then all of the geese!
Afterwards, John went out to Henry and said "Son, you'd better slow down or
you're going to kill yourself!"

The following day, Henry took care of all the pullets, all the geese and all
the ducks.  John went out to Henry and said "Son, you'd better slow down or
you're going to dig yourself an early grave!"

Sure enough, the next morning, after servicing all of the pullets, all of
the geese and all of the ducks, Henry lay sprawled flat on his back.    John
went out to Henry and said "Son, I just knew you should have slowed down -
how many times did I warn you?"  Henry pointed at the turkey buzzards
circling over head and said "Shhhhh!'.