[Rhodes22-list] New Car from China

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:43:04 EDT 2008

Art,

Boss Lady wants a Honda CRV, period.  I've tried to get her to look at the
Hyundai Santa Fe and the Subaru Forrester but no luck.  I'll look around for
the best deal and then sick her on the salesman.  If the experience is
anything like the Accord buying one, they'll hand her the keys below cost
with a full tank of gas.

Half of all the taxi-cabs here are new Hyundai Elantras (built nearby).
They've gotten good reviews in the US and our versions are built near
Montgomery, AL.  We'll see what the cost of fuel is a couple of years down
the road and then I'll make a decision.  I really, really like the Hyundai
Sonata.  My old diesel VW (circa 1980) got 50 mpg so the hybrids don't
excite me.  As far as a hybrid being a "green" car, it's bunk.  The source
of material for that big battery and its eventual disposal is a huge
environmental problem. When we finally come to our senses and abandon corn
based ethanol and start producing (non-subsidized) soybean and rapeseed
bio-diesel we can produce an eco-friendly car that I can drive to the
airport to burn through a few thousand gallons of Jet A and then another 60
gallons of gasoline in my Bonanza on days off.

Brad