[Rhodes22-list] To Jay; Local Knowledge of Raritan Bay

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 3 21:39:42 EDT 2008

Ben,
We can work out details, but don't get too far ahead of yourself re:
NY Harbor, 2009. I did demo sails for Stan at last year's show. Even
though I've sailed it before, this time was one of my greatest
challenges ever- converging currents, winds coming both down river and
from between buildings on the Jersey City side, criss-crossing
ferries, CG drills, and generally reckless boat traffic combined for 2
accidental gybes, a scalp wound, and a very defensive posture beating
back up river from Statue of Liberty. Some daytime practice may help
before hitting the NJ Tpk of the waterways at night with few channel
markers and no Jersey barriers for protection. July 4 brings out the
absolute worst in the boating world, but I'm sure there are Rhodies on
the list who've lived to talk about.

We'll talk soon.
Jay