[Rhodes22-list] cheungs trip to edenton narrative (long)

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 11:46:19 EDT 2008

Mike,

The truth is, I was in the market for a mid 60's M-20 when I stumbled across my V-tail.  You can't beat the Mooney numbers although I get 150 knots at 10.5 gph and mogas makes up the difference.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, flies as sweet at the straight 35.  That said, I'm toying with the idea of trading for a Twin Comanche down the road - 170 knots at 16 gph.  The wife likes the idea of having two of everything on board and no amount of logic and reasoning will change that thinking.  I don't like the way the Twink flies any more than the Mooney but we'd probably use it more.  Fan doesn't feel comfortable sitting behind just the one fan.

The big question is what will happen to 100LL?  Lycoming just announced that they are going to certify the IO-360 for 93 octane mogas.  And just where do you find 93 octane?  I'm betting airplane prices stay in the dump for a good long while at $150 a barrel oil.

I'm about done buying toys, er, I mean tools for the hangar. I could start an FBO with all the stuff I've accumulated.  My hangar mate was just diagnosed with type-II diabetes and is selling his airplane.  Now I have to break-in someone new as to which side of the fridge his beer goes.

Brad