[Rhodes22-list] Lake Erie; was placing Genoa

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Sun Jun 15 21:02:49 EDT 2008

 Hi John,
Don't believe everything you hear.  I grew up in Pgh
and compared to river sailing and the dinky lakes in Western Pa., Lake
Erie is 1000% more fun.
Today, winds were out of the west at 15 kn
midday after a calm night.  The waves only built to 1 ft by the time we
sailed 10 kmi north into the lake from Cleveland at hull spped.  When I
wanted to turn back, my companion almost mutinied because he didn't want
it to end.  (He's used to sailing on a puddle called Lake
Hartwell.)
Of course, conditions are much more variable on Erie in
terms of when and where you sail.  Waves are often choppy, but the flaired
hull of the R22 is great for keeping the cockpit dry.  The downside of the
hull design is it makes it hard to tack when blowing over 25 kn.
can have a good time with waves up to 5 ft and winds to 30 kn.  However,
my bench seats have been reinforced to minimize big wave flexing that
cracks the gelcoat.
As a beginner, pick a day when the wind is
blowing steady 10 kn or more from the south.  You'll have smooth sailing
and an opportunity to try every maneauver you can think of, including
man-overboard drills.
Rick

> HI Bill,
>
> I live in Pgh. and am wondering how you like the conditions on
Erie.
> Every body I have spoken to has advised me not to sail
there because the
> roughness of the lake and being a sailing
novice I don't want to get in
> over
> my head so to
speak. But it would be nice to hear your opinion on the

subject. Any input from any other Great Lake Rhodies is encouraged as