[Rhodes22-list] Chosing Genoa by jimjim02

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Jun 18 14:00:23 EDT 2008

Mary Lou,

I use the venerable Tiller Tamer on both boats.

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.htm?fno=400&group=471

My rig is anchored on starboard stern cleat,
passes to the tiller tamer fitting on the
underside of the tiller, then to a block on the
port side, and the bitter end is secured to an
adjustable piece of bungee running parallel to
the transom.

By varying the clamping force on the tiller
tamer and the tension on the bungee cord, I can
both move the tiller as appropriate when
sailing, and let go when I need both hands in
moderate winds.

The bungee and block compensate for the fact
that the length of the cord between the two
tern cleats varies in length as the tiller is
moved from side to side.  Imagine the geometry
as the tiller tamer describes an arc and the
cord consits of two straight lines.

/Robert