[Rhodes22-list] (politics) See with a little work we can reachcommon ground

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Jun 23 10:44:18 EDT 2008

Brad,

Yes, you are correct, guess my quick answer was too quick.  The Sunni's
were fighting against us but now are not.  That seems to be due to the
US military's paying them to set up Awakening Councils which basically
sounds like they are being paid to protect their own turf.  The Maliki
government doesn't agree with the Councils, which is something that is
going to have to be resolved.  Any idea where the term Awakening Council
comes from?  Must be some historic term?

I agree with the rest of your response.  I do believe it was a mistake
to disband the army and turn out the Sunni public servants.  And yes, al
Qaeda lost the battle for support with their extreme tactics.

You definitely don't want my investment advice.  Just roll the dice!