[Rhodes22-list] Introduction-soon to be new old Rhodes owner

chetc cclocksin at buckeye-express.com
Mon Jun 30 08:03:47 EDT 2008

Hi Mac, and welcome!

Congrats on your decision to purchase a large hole in the water that you can
throw lot's of money into!

Seriously though, The Rhodes is definitely a very comfortable cruiser for a
22 foot sailboat and I think you'll really enjoy it. My brother and I just
purchased a Rhodes this season and we're really happy with it. The options
list can go on forever, but it sounds like you have some good ones in mind.
We just installed a Pop-Top enclosure, and it really opens up the cabin and
will greatly increase livability in inclement weather. As for the UPP, we
don't have it and I wish we did...the two handed, two tiller dance is
nothing new for me, but it can still be a pain in the ass. A bimini would be
a nice option and we will probably end up going that route in the future.
The lack of lifelines and stanchions on the Rhodes makes it a little more
difficult to rig up an effective boom shade in a hurry...but on the other
hand, not having those lifelines would make it much easier to get on and off
the boat if you do have a "real" bimini up. Solar panel would be GREAT. We
have a portable toilet on board...I think that it is the way to go for an
older model that doesn't have the "expanding head" feature. Easy to move it
out to the cabin or cockpit if needed to make more room for the user or to
have easier access while the double bunk is deployed. A hatch or two would
be a welcome addition on our boat (a 1986), anything would be better than
the backwards opening port design that is on there now...they collect water
and are prone to leakage.

Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted!

Chet