[Rhodes22-list] Water Under V Berth? Water in side & forward bilges; Reply to Andrew, Michael C et al...

andrew collins engineerpac at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:51:21 EDT 2008

MJM and Ed

The water is behaving as Michael described. The bilge is now dry with very
little water seeping in from the adjacent bilge compartments, so happiness
abounds. Three or four 1/4" holes thru the partitions from the bilge to the
forward and port compartments will speed up drtainage if it happens again.

The boat is a 1986 recycled in 2006. Leakage has historically been wind
driven rain into the starboard hatch and under the pop top, but this last
one only when on the trailer. My guess is that the wind builds up a little
wavelet at the pop top and manages to push it over the lip. The amount is
not worth worrying about.
All thru hull fittings are closed and connections are dry. New hoses were
fitted this year.
The source of water from the knock down: now wouldn't I like to know! From
drip marks and debris trails on the interior of the hull under the galley
counter, I reckon it was on its starboard side (also the port fender was in
the cockpit). So the hull deck joint is the prime suspect, and this will get
inspected in the fall. No water seemed to come in through ports, hatches, or
companionway, the carpet was dry ... so the forensic effort CSI Grass
Island is ended.

I will search the archives for the deck-hull connection info and/or caulking
procedure.

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew
s/v Carmen