[Rhodes22-list] Herb' reply to Slim - Political - National Anthem -

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Mar 6 07:05:28 EST 2008

Herb,

Point well made.  I doubt that neo communists will concede the topic.  At
first I had thought that Slim had made a valid observation.  However, you
point out the totality of his ways.  As you say, "I think he's a slick
politician, and knew that the middle of the road folks would let it slide,
and the lefties would love it."

Now consider the issue of his staff giving Canada secret assurances that his
comments on NAFTA are just campaign rhetoric.  Unfortunately, 'at the
meeting which never took place', someone took notes and told the Canadian
press...  For those who thought that 'Tricky Dickie' was a crook, me among
them, at least he resigned when caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

However, the new communists say it was not their hand or just avoid what
happened.

John Adams said, "The people have a right, an indisputable, unalienable,
indefeasible, divine right to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge
- I mean of the character and conduct of their rulers”.

His behavior gets beyond a small omission or causal 'white' lie, but goes to
trust worthiness to hold public office.  If we do not demand the best, most
trustworthy, this is what we get. “We must adjust to changing times and
still hold to unchanging principles.” Jimmy Carter

Some claim to indulge in adult beverages, and maybe smokes of the
entertainers, but I have to ask for medical opinion.  Does drinking alcohol
and exposure to pot destroy reasoning ability?  I need qualified medical
opinion here.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
“Just when you think there's nothing to write about, Nixon says, "I am not a
crook." Jimmy Carter says, "I have lusted after women in my heart."
President Reagan says, "I have just taken a urinalysis test, and I am not on
dope."”  Art Buchwald

hparsons wrote:

> [...]
>
> So, he took that symbol that he pretended had come to represent some
> sort of false patriotism, and used it in a negative way to win votes.
>
> Sorry Slim, I don't think I want that guy leading my country.
>

> Steven Alm wrote:
>> Brad,
>>
>> I watched/listened to it several times because it's so good and I
>> enthusiastically passed it along to others  This is what happens when you
>> combine great talent and hard work with great instruction.  Yes, we must
>> also take our hats off to their teacher!  If those were my students, I'd
>> be
>> mighty proud of them and quietly proud of myself as well.  Maybe Cora
>> will
>> have such a chance some day.  Has she started those piano lessons yet?
>>
>> I never heard how/if Obama responded to that but I'm pretty sure he was
>> thinking, "I hate this country and I hate this song.  If I'm elected I'm
>> going to secretly let thousands of Muslim terrorists into the country so
>> they can blow up these damned infidels and my hand not-on-heart will send
>> secret message to my brothers alerting them of my master plan."
>> Seriously,
>> I agree it was a gaff--and he has not by any means cornered the market on
>> gaffs--but in all fairness have you never seen baseball players lined up
>> during the SSB and not really paying attention?  Have you never seen some
>> one in church not folding their hands or bowing their head during a
>> prayer?
>> That means...what?
>>
>> Here's a little anecdote of my own:  There was one time in my band
>> directing
>> years when I had to hold a conversation with somebody concerning an
>> emergency WHILE I was conducting the SSB in front of a thousand people.
>> finished the number but I did speed it up a little toward the end.  I
>> couldn't have cared less about the music at that moment.  I needed to get
>> it
>> over with so I could deal with the problem.  Does that make me somehow
>> less
>> patriotic?
>>
>> You ask who's voting for him?  Um...Brad, I know you follow the news so
>> you
>> already know the answer to that.  I know he wasn't a distracted band
>> leader
>> or baseball player or in church but please tell me this is not where
>> you're
>> hanging your hat.
>>
>> Slim
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Brad Haslett  wrote:
>>

>>> Ed,
>>>
>>> That brought tears to my eyes.  I'd love to be at a medal presentation
>>> in
>>> Beijing while the Stars and Stripes are being honored, and sing the
>>> National
>>> Anthem with Cora at the top of our lungs.  Too much hassle - we're going
>>> May.  Who's voting for the candidate who can't be bothered with putting