[Rhodes22-list] Political - National Anthem -

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Mar 6 17:51:49 EST 2008

Yep, you're nit-picking, but I'll go with it.

Frankly, I don't have much respect for a man, or a woman, that will wear
Somali garb as a "show" of respect, when they would know that some would
see it as a Muslim "symbol"; then turn right around and refuse to wear a
pin that merely represents the flag of their country, with the excuse
that they did not want it to be seen as "false patriotism". As I said in
my previous post, there's little doubt in my mind that it was a
political gambit, one that would win him admiration on the left, and
little scorn on the right. Unfortunately, there are too many other
examples that show something of a disdain for the country he's supposed
to lead. Would you like more examples?

BTW, I really DO think the SSB/no hand on the heart thing was just a
gaffe, because he's done the opposite at other places; however, you
cannot properly compare the flag pin to the "yellow ribbon thingy",
unless you made a decision to REFUSE to wear it because of what you
perceive it to mean, rather than just not bothering.

The man is clearly playing to the left.

Steven Alm wrote:
> [...]
> that TV is 24 hours that's gone.
>
> Slim
>
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 11:18 AM, john Belanger <jhnblngr at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> i agree, it's great to see displays like this of patriotism. when i was in
>> england during the 70's, we went to the theatre one night. they sang god
>> save the queen before the performance. i assume they still do that. what are
>> the rules for use of the ssb here. i remember singing it in school. is it
>> only sung now before sporting events?
>>
>> Steven Alm <stevenalm at gmail.com> wrote:  Brad,
>>
>> I watched/listened to it several times because it's so good and I
>> enthusiastically passed it along to others This is what happens when you
>> combine great talent and hard work with great instruction. Yes, we must
>> also take our hats off to their teacher! If those were my students, I'd be
>> mighty proud of them and quietly proud of myself as well. Maybe Cora will
>> have such a chance some day. Has she started those piano lessons yet?
>>
>> I never heard how/if Obama responded to that but I'm pretty sure he was
>> thinking, "I hate this country and I hate this song. If I'm elected I'm
>> going to secretly let thousands of Muslim terrorists into the country so
>> they can blow up these damned infidels and my hand not-on-heart will send
>> secret message to my brothers alerting them of my master plan." Seriously,
>> I agree it was a gaff--and he has not by any means cornered the market on
>> gaffs--but in all fairness have you never seen baseball players lined up
>> during the SSB and not really paying attention? Have you never seen some
>> one in church not folding their hands or bowing their head during a
>> prayer?
>> That means...what?
>>
>> Here's a little anecdote of my own: There was one time in my band
>> directing
>> years when I had to hold a conversation with somebody concerning an
>> emergency WHILE I was conducting the SSB in front of a thousand people. I
>> finished the number but I did speed it up a little toward the end. I
>> couldn't have cared less about the music at that moment. I needed to get
>> it
>> over with so I could deal with the problem. Does that make me somehow less
>> patriotic?
>>
>> You ask who's voting for him? Um...Brad, I know you follow the news so you
>> already know the answer to that. I know he wasn't a distracted band leader
>> or baseball player or in church but please tell me this is not where
>> you're
>> hanging your hat.
>>
>> Slim
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Brad Haslett wrote:
>>

>>> Ed,
>>>
>>> That brought tears to my eyes. I'd love to be at a medal presentation in
>>> Beijing while the Stars and Stripes are being honored, and sing the
>>> National
>>> Anthem with Cora at the top of our lungs. Too much hassle - we're going
>>> May. Who's voting for the candidate who can't be bothered with putting
>>> his
>>> hand over his heart?
>>>
>>> Brad

>> Never miss a thing.   Make Yahoo your homepage.

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25
S/V Reve de Pappa - Coronado 35