[Rhodes22-list] re locating the topping lift - Mary Lou & Hank & New York Rhodies

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Mar 7 12:21:22 EST 2008

Mary Lou,

I have experience with topping lifts on two other type boats.

First, was another block on the masthead which was away from the other lines
which brought the line down the back of the mast to another block to an
organizer to a cleat on the back of the cabin top to be adjusted from the
cockpit.

Second, as done on my O'Day, it is attached at the top of mast and then to a
block on the back of the boom to a cleat.  But you have to go starboard side
of the cabin deck to adjust.  If a second block was added on the boom the
lines direction could be reversed and you could put a cleat near the end of
the boom to adjust.

Hank,

On the IMF boats the topping lift goes outside of the mast.  That is down
the front of the mast to a turning block near the grab rail.  At least that
is the set up on my boat and as I have seen on several other R22's.  Then
the lines runs aft to a cleat for adjustments.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p15901239/New%2BYork%2BRhodies.jpg
New+York+Rhodies.jpg
(from the archives that Mary Lou Spoke of)

Ed K
Greenville,SC, USA