[Rhodes22-list] Mo Gubmint - Politics & Education

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 01:59:06 EST 2008

thanks elle.

elle <watermusic38 at yahoo.com> wrote:  Slim,,

I'd been trying to stay out of this since there are
some who seem to know more on this subject than those
of us in the biz...and things do get a bit heated here
at times...;^)

That said, I've been chomping at the bit...so here it
comes......

One cannot generalize about this topic....training in
any profession is essential, altho' dealing with the
basics may be in the perview of many parents.

An educated populace promotes the welfare of the
nation and its citizens; but we have babies having
babies...who can say that these folks are capable of
'educating' their offspring? Or is what they are
teaching what is good for our nation?

I have had in my classes students who were
homeschooled until high school age, when material
became too complicated for the home school parents.
Those students were ...generally...bright,
inquisitive, respectful. But, so were many of the kids
who had come through the system. Some of the HS kids
were rude & demanding...but so were the 'system' kids.

I believe there are many parents who are quite capable
of teaching their children ...(isn't what moms did
before we tossed the kiddies into day care & headed
into the work force? Thanks, women's lib...) Shouldn't
there be standards for these students as well as for
the ones in the system?

But there is point at which parents cannot get the
material across to their students. Not having depth in
a subject and trying to teach it quickly shows how
little you really know. To instill understanding, to
reinforce it and reiterate it, a good teacher needs to
be able to approach the subject from different
directions; to look at the difficulties the student is
having through his eyes, and devise a strategy to help
him capture the elusive knowledge.

So what is the worth of a teaching credential?? What
is the worth of a medical license...or a beautician's
license. After all, I can cut hair...give me a pair of
scissors & I'll show you....OH...do it WELL...with
STYLE....in a way that suits the recipient...I get
it...that's what the TRAINING is for....

When you need a surgeon, would you want the one
trained by the local butcher or the one who
matriculated at a highly rated university? I mean, I
can cut up a chicken into parts & a roast into stew
meat...

Why do we train our troops...or our police...or hazmat
crews...or bus drivers...?

The point of the teaching credential is not the
rinky-dink edu courses.....(altho; there were some
good ones...) the point of the credential is the
exposure and experience the teacher brings to the
student....the breadth and depth of knowledge of
topics other than just the subject matter...THAT's the
education...

To be able to react without thinking in an
emergency...we look for standardization in many
occupations...following procedures....that's the
training...and only a highly trained person can pass
this on.

Thanks for asking, Slim ;^)

BTW..when I retired, I donated all 33 yrs of my
teaching materials to the home school folks of a local
church, one of whose dads was a science teacher at my
HS. They had weekend classes; he taught science on Sat
AM.

elle

--- Steven Alm wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to be vague, just brief. What
> I'm getting at is that
> in a perfect world, all parents are wonderful and
> would make great home
> school teachers for their perfect children.
> But........ Or maybe they
> don't care about whatever--music, sports, all that
> peripheral stuff--and
> only care that their precious little ones don't hear
> anything about that
> godless thing we call evolution or sex education or
> a myriad of unsavory
> topics called the real world. If their goal is
> protectionism rather than a
> complete, rounded education, they should be allowed
> to sheild their kids
> from the evils of the outside world.
>
> That said, I've met several home schooled
> individuals who were articulate,
> confident and looked you straight in the eye when
> speaking to you with
> endless curiosity about the world and with promising
> futures. Two in
> particular are my twin niece and nephew. She was
> operating way above her
> grade level and was getting bored in school because
> it wasn't a challenge
> for her. The boy was operating below his grade
> level and was frustrated and
> started developing behavioral problems. So they
> were both pulled out of
> school and taught at home for several years and
> eventually rejoined their
> classmates in public school for their graduation.
> One parent a PhD and the
> other a neurosurgeon, their education was solid to
> say the least. I'm
> afraid this is the exception however.
>
> As for certification, less than qualified teachers
> will produce less than
> qualified students. The question is whether you can
> be qualified without
> being certified. Perhaps. Why should a pilot need
> a licence? Shouldn't it
> be OK to let a person fly a jet without all that
> bull shit instruction?
> After all, it's as simple as following the
> checklist, right? Isn't that
> just too much gubment getting in your way? When I
> was going through my
> certification there were a few times when I thought
> it was just busy work
> but most of it was valuable to me. I couldn't have
> gotten through the first
> week of teaching without it.
>
> I wish Elle would chime in. After 33 years in the
> biz I know she has some
> insight. C'mon girl!
>
> Slim
>
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Brad Haslett
> wrote:
>
> > Slim,
> >
> > I'm guessing as to what you really mean. But, let
> me address the "what is
> > important to me" question first. The issue at
> hand in California is who
> > "owns" the children. Most (and that includes me)
> feel that the parents
> [...]

1992 Rhodes 22 Recyc '06 "WaterMusic" (Lady in Red)

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs