[Rhodes22-list] Ron Lipton's Political Glee

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Mar 11 01:02:25 EDT 2008

Hank -

And it was Sommers, I believe, who was president
of Harvard and was taken to task and busted out
of the presidency for recognizing that when viewed
as groups, women's cognitive aparatus differs a
bit from that of men.  Not better or worse, just
different.

Like most segregations, this is a matter of
balancing social needs with good sense.  But where
can men go these days to be out of the view of
women?  Even the locker room is not sacrosanct.

/Robert
Hank wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Your facts are a little off.  The gym is available to ALL women, not just
> muslim women.  Although muslim women were the reason for the change.
> According to AP  "No men are allowed in the gym between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on
> Mondays, and between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even the
> staff during those times is all women."
>
> Two hours a day for three days a week is not unreasonable in my point of
> view.
>
> Hank
>
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Brad Haslett <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ed,
> >
> > Funny you should mention this:
> >
> > -I rather look to Bill Buckley's comment, "I'd rather entrust the
> > government
> > of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston
> > telephone
> > directory than to the faculty of Harvard University." -
> >
> > Harvard recently set aside specific hours for Muslim women to use a
> > Harvard
> > University pool segregated for only Muslim women.  Didn't we have a
> > movement
> > in US during the 60's to end segregated water fountains and bus seats in
> > the
> > US?  So much for the Progressive movement.
> >
> > I'm off on a different mission this morning.  There was an attempted
> > hijacking in Xinjiang province over the weekend, an apparent attempt to
> > disrupt the planning for the Beijing games.  The crew was able to
> > apprehend
> > the bad guys and land short.  We know some people in the government there
> > and I'm anxious to get their opinion before they go to bed.
> >
> > Ah yes, 'the religion of peace'.
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Tootle <ekroposki at charter.net> wrote:
> >

> > > Ron's glee about the winning candidate suggests that having a Ph.D.
> > makes
> > > person more qualified to lead that someone who is a high school dropout.
> > >
> > > I take exception to that elitist concept.  Many Mennonites only have a
> > > grade
> > > school level of academic achievement.  Yet I trust those guys who make
> > up
> > > their convoys of church members going  to devastated areas and go about
> > > cleaning up and rebuilding without Federal Government assistance.
> > >
> > > I rather look to Bill Buckley's comment, "I'd rather entrust the
> > > government
> > > of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston
> > > telephone
> > > directory than to the faculty of Harvard University."
> > >
> > > Good judgment in things subjects outside of ones area of expertise is
> > not
> > > given, nor an absolute.  It does not follow that because one has
> > attained
> > > high level of achievement in science that person will exercise
> > commiserate
> [...]

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."