[Rhodes22-list] Robert, sailboat slips

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Mar 18 16:19:41 EDT 2008

Robert,

In this part of the world it is dockominiums.  In the Charleston, SC, area,
many of the older (read less expensive) marinas have sold to dockominiums
developments.  Usually they are priced $100,000 to $200,000.  Often, but not
always associated with Condo developments.  On top of the purchase price
there are the maintenance fees, usually about what the old Marinas charged.
Since this part of the world is very subject to hurricanes, what happens if
the place is wiped out?  You have a mooring over insufficient space for a
real mooring?

While they seem reasonably run while they are selling the dockominiums, I
wonder how they will fare when the developer sells to a management company?
I have talked to a guy who purchased a dockominium while he lived in
Charleston and now has sold his boat and lives elsewhere.  He is still
paying his mortgage which is higher than I am willing to pay him to keep my
boat down there for a few months.  And the company who owns the place while
saying it will rent your space if this occurs, rents their available spaces
first.  And for the moment they have plenty.

So, if you want to buy a dockominium in Charleston, SC, they are available…

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p16129700/Eliot%2Bin%2Bcan.gif Eliot+in+can.gif