[Rhodes22-list] Robert said, "... (Big Al, not sailing, costs of gas...)

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Mar 19 11:00:57 EDT 2008

Brad Haslett wrote:
> Robert,
> Nice looking unit!  Keep us posted with updates on her performance.

Much gusto from the V6.  Interior and accessories on
the basic model are quite complete and comfortable.
Corners like a cat on a rug (relative to other SUVs.)
Gas mileage as advertised or better.  Could sleep in
back w/ air mattress; I carry blanket as emergency
gear.  Traction control on snow works well, as does
ABS.  Have not tested the limits of the anti-rollover
system -- I can wait for that.

> Fan wants to replace her 99' Honda Accord with a Honda CRV.  I've been trying to
> convince her to wait until the diesels appear from Honda and Toyota in the
> next few years (she's not gonna wait and it's her money).

I agree that the diesels can be a real improvement,
'specially if they are in a hybrid system w/ lotsa
batteries.  I decided that a 60% improvement in MPG
and very much higher reliability were worth jumping
the diesel gun.  I also looked at the CRV -- good
mileage and reliability, but only 1500 lb tow
capacity.  Same story on the Subaru Forester, plus
it sat too low - couldn't see over the snow piles.

> Did you look at
> the Hyundai SUVs? I think they are a good value but I'm losing that argument
> as well - Fan said she'd jump on my trackhoe or bulldozer if she wanted some
> Hyundai time.

No, I didn't look at Hyundai.  While their
reliability is improving, it is still way below
Toyota.

> What I really think you should do is drive your new vehicle around Berkeley!

That would be fun, 'specially as my veteran's
plate reads USMC61.  However, I don't think you
are volunteering to pay for my gas there and
back, and I suspect that some of the more
militant Pink pacifists would not hesitate to
damage my fresh-caught beauty -- all in the
name of peace, of course.

Might be interesting to see whether their
sporting goods and toy stores carry weapons,
real or toy, and start a movement to run WalMart
out of town for fostering aggression by selling
BB guns...

Probably better to regard that municipality as
a sort of social pimple, and leave it alone, no
matter how irritating it is.  Time wounds all
heels.

By the way, how is Fan on a backhoe?  Or a dozer?
Have you put her to work yet grading the yard?

Damn, ain't life grand!
/Robert