[Rhodes22-list] Robert's Question on free charts... Lee will youcomment on this picture...

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Mar 20 12:03:50 EDT 2008

Works fine in FireFox 2.0.0.12 in Windoze XP.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Robert Skinner" <robert at squirrelhaven.com>Sent: Thursday, March 20,
2008 11:43 AM
Thank you, Ed, for your thoughtful reply.

I found my problem.  The site does not work with the
Opera browser.  When I used (with teeth clenched) the
Microsoft Internet Explorer, I was able to create an
account and download a 206 MB chart .EXE file for my
area.  I assume that it is in zipped form, will see
when it is all here.

I wonder how things work in Firefox, etc. Windows
alternatives, or LINUX/Apple-based browsers?

Can anyone relate personal experience with this?

/Robert
Tootle wrote:

> Robert said he tried and they did not work.  I have not had problems using
> the North and South Carolina maps until I reformatted my hard drive.  On
> Wednesday, I redownloaded the maps pages that I posted and was able to use
> them again.  When I saved the previous version there was evidentially a
> registry code that was not saved.
>
> I would suggest the following.  Clean the old version off your hard drive.
> If you know how and are comfortable, clean registry by hand.  Then go to:
>
>  http://www.maptech.com/support/downloads.cfm?plid=17   to download
> viewer.
>
> Follow directions to download view.  Even with high speed access, it takes
> few minutes.  Because all the maps will take up a lot of space, I like to
> create a directory directly in "C" Drive and save all programs and data
> (maps) to that specific directory.

> http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/
>
> And download maps that you want.  I prefer to a the whole region so that
> you
> can have contiguous viewing.  That can take a lot of time downloading.
> Let
> the thing download and go have a cup of coffee and read something or take
> the dogs for a walk.
>
> Remember this is just a 'sampler' of the whole program which you can
> purchase.  If you want to take the stuff on a boat, I would purchase the
> program and maps on CD just to have a hard copy with me.  Since I do not
> loose sight of land and usually just sail along, I seldom use hard copy
> maps
> or my gps.
>
> While the program is design so that you cannot print out maps from the
> free
> version, I have a screen print routine that allows me to save a screen of
> anything as a picture (Tiff format) and print that.
>
> Again, for home use, it works fine.
>
> Lee, will you provide detail description of this picture?
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p16177175/Lee%2Bwill%2Bprovide%2Bdetails.gif
> Lee+will+provide+details.gif
>
> Ed K
> Greenville, SC, USA
>  â?oThe law is not the private property of lawyers, nor is justice the
> exclusive province of judges and juries. In the final analysis, true
> justice
> is not a matter of courts and law books, but of a commitment in each of us
> to liberty and mutual respect.�  Jimmy Carter
> --

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."