[Rhodes22-list] Sailboats - Weather - Politics (Big Al, he was your governor)

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Mar 25 09:41:03 EDT 2008

Good morning, friends.

Slim has a very interesting point here.

Those of us who believe that the Republican machine
has taken us in the wrong direction on a number of
major issues are interested in changing horses --
in mid-stream if necessary.

The focus is on change, and Obama has a good grip on
that.

Like Slim, my father and his contemporaries were
racist ethnophobes.  Initially, up to the age of 25
or so, I bought their values.  Then I wound up
thinking for myself, and questioning things.  That
has led to a rather different view of the world.

Now I live in the uncertain territory between "is"
and "ought to be" -- depressing, exhilarating,
tragic, dangerous, and the ultimate comedy.

In our system of government, parties can assume too
important a role, but they are the current reality,
good and evil simultaneously.

/Robert
Steven Alm wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Let me get this straight.  You think Obama's toast because he knows some one
> who's angry about the black experience in America?  Or he knows some one who
> knows some one who knows some one who likes Farrakhan?  This guilt by
> association is a lot of BS.  Do you really think Obama's a racist
> extremist?  Do you really think he's a Muslim?  A commy?  Do you really
> think he has some hidden, anti-American agenda?  First, he's just as much
> white as he is black.  Why not call him a white man?  Next, let's remember
> that the USA has not exactly been kind to blacks and I think it's pretty
> easy for us white folks to dismiss Rev. Wright's comments as racist, but he
> (Wright) is not wrong when he says America is controlled by rich white men
> to the exclusion of blacks.  If you were black, I'm sure you'd have a whole
> different take on the American experience.  But it's almost impossible for
> the typical white person to see that.
>
> I do not use the word "typical" lightly.  Neither does Obama.  Of course
> there is such a thing.  We all have our own bias.  It's like the default
> setting on your computer.  If you told me a story about a person who... I
> would automatically think you're telling me about a middle-aged,
> middle-class white male because that's my default bias.  I can't change
> that.  I can't change who I am.  And of course there's nothing wrong with
> that.  It's when you get to the stereotypes and prejudice (root word is
> pre-judge) that we get into trouble.  This is where Rev. Wright got into
> trouble--by letting his bias lean into the stereotypes and prejudice and I
> think Obama made that very clear in his now-famous speech addressing race in
> America.  The only road to success is to be positive instead of divisive.
>
> I know what the right is asking here--how can you damn America when she's
> sending you a welfare check every month?  The left is saying we wouldn't
> have to send the checks if we didn't have such an inhospitable environment
> for them.  This paradox will not be solved anytime soon but I truly believe
> Obama's got the issue well-organized in his head and has the guts to fight
> the good fight against this ugly monster of racism that is still so
> prevalent in our great but could be greater country.
>
> To put it in another perspective, my own dear old dad is a dyed-in-the-wool
> right winger and many times I've heard him utter extremely racist remarks,
> the specifics of which I'm far too polite to repeat here.  Were I a
> candidate and his remarks were leaked to the public, I suppose my campaign
> would be over.  After all, he's not merely my pastor, he's my flesh and
> blood.  I could hardly deny that he's been my mentor.  I love my dad no
> matter what trash he talks but many would conclude that I'm a racist too by
> association.  Is that fair?
>
> Next question: who said the world is fair?  Maybe you're right, Brad, and he
> [...]

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."