[Rhodes22-list] Computer Geek Question - Wireless Cards

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sun Mar 30 14:47:23 EDT 2008

I use a Linksys extended range multi-protocol card
in both my in-house notebook and my truck.  In the
house, I use a Linksys Wifi router to obscure (and
secure) my local net.

In the truck, I can park in the lot next to a WiFi
source (Starbux, etc.) and hook up, so its easy to
keep up with the mail when I travel.  The card has
also worked in hotels that offer WiFi.

Never a problem.

It is amazing how many private citizens leave their
WiFi networks unsecured.  It would be impossible to
track a terrorist who exploited this foolishness.

/Robert
Brad Haslett wrote:

> (And you're not necessarily a geek if you answer!)
>
> My trusty IBM X40 served me well for years until last Spring when it went
> swimming in Atlantic City while I was on the way to Cape May to watch Alex
> graduate from Coast Guard basic.  It woke up in a pool of water that may or
> may not have had scotch mixed with it as well.  Last week I purchased a used
> replacement on e-Bay for $1000 less than what it cost new and the unit works
> fine but was shipped without the wireless card.  I've sent the seller an
> e-mail but am not holding my breath for good results.  I installed the old
> card from my previous unit but can't find the correct driver anywhere (and
> I've looked high and low).  Perhaps it is time to move on to later
> technology anyway.  How good are the external cards and who makes the best?
> Which is the way to go, USB or PC slot.  Do they perform better than
> internal cards? Which has the max range?
>
> Please keep in mind with your advice, I'm one CSOB.
>
> Brad

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."