[Rhodes22-list] Herb's rant.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 08:08:10 EDT 2008

Your misrepresentation of his stand sucks Stan, and is unbecoming to
"intelligent debate". You can do better.

Herb, speaking of being able to do better.............just where the hell
does McCain stand? After reading as much as I could find, I'm still  confused.

Rummy

Misperceptions About McCain's Abortion Stance
by _Julie  Rovner_
(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2101102)  (NPR)

Many Republican voters, however, seem to believe, incorrectly, that the
current Republican front-runner, Arizona Sen. John McCain, supports abortion
rights, too.
The misperception is interesting, considering that McCain has not attempted
to keep his pro-life views a secret. Here's how he put it on an appearance
last  year on NBC's Meet the Press:
"I have stated time after time after time that Roe v Wade was a bad
decision, that I support a woman — the rights of the unborn — that I have fought  for
human rights and human dignity throughout my entire political career,"
McCain said. "To me, it's an issue of human rights and human dignity."
And while now former candidate Fred Thompson, the former senator from
Tennessee, won the coveted endorsement from the National Right to Life  Committee,
McCain's voting record on the issue is just fine, says David O'Steen,  the
group's executive director.
"He's been very consistent; he hasn't changed his position," O'Steen says. He
 says that his group has supported McCain in every one of his senate races.
"We've always considered him pro-life," he says.
Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, says her group has
always considered McCain pro-life as well. And it's not just abortion, she says.
"He voted against family planning, he voted against the freedom of access to
clinic entrances — that was about violence against women in clinics," Keenan
says, adding, "He voted against funding for teen pregnancy-prevention
programs,  and making sure that abstinence only was medically accurate. This is very,
very  extreme."
Yet in Florida's GOP primary on Jan. 29, McCain won 45 percent of Republican
voters who said abortion should be legal. That's nearly twice the total of
former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who used to be pro-choice, but now says
he has changed his mind. And Giuliani, who says he still is pro-choice,
received  just 19 percent of those pro-choice voters.
NARAL's Keenan thinks it's because voters see McCain splitting with
Republicans on so many other issues, they assume he must split with them when it
comes to abortion as well.
"I think it comes back to that moderate maverick image that he's tried to
portray," Keenan says. "But when you peel the onion back, the record shows that
this is a guy who's been very anti-choice since he entered the U.S. House of
Representatives back in 1983."
Those pro-choice McCain voters may also remember the very public feud McCain
has had with the National Right to Life Committee. But that argument wasn't
over  abortion, says the NRLC's O'Steen; it was over the campaign finance
measure that  McCain sponsored with Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold, a Democrat.
"The McCain-Feingold Act limited the ability of non-PACS [political action
committees] to even mention the name of a candidate within 30 days of a
primary,  or 60 days of a general election," O'Steen says.
In other words, the dispute was a freedom of speech issue.
McCain's pro-life record isn't totally spotless: He did vote in favor of
expanding federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research. But both pro-choice
and pro-life groups say that if McCain becomes the Republican nominee, they'll
work hard to make sure voters know what his abortion position really  is.

Home.