[Rhodes22-list] miles per gallon

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri May 2 22:51:12 EDT 2008

We don't have a 9.9 but for any motor it will depends on conditions.
Adverse currents or wind and waves on the nose will increase
consumption. We did keep records off and on with our old Honda 8
fourstroke. The records weren't very exact but the number that seemed
to come up most often was about .42 gallons per hour motoring at 4 to
5 knots. When estimating range we would round this up to a half a
gallon an hour at a conservative 4 knots. With both of our 3 gallon
tanks and the spare 1.5 gallon tank full this gave us a (very
conservative) range of 60 nautical miles.

We haven't used our new Yamaha 8 enough to get records but it's one
of the things we will doing this summer. We'll record the hours of
motor use (in reality this is often rounded off or a guesstimate) in
the log as well as the amount of gas used (at fill-ups just like you
would with a car) and calculate the result. This gives us a number
for trip planning purposes.

Hope this is helpful. Maybe someone else has kept good records on a 9.9.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD