[Rhodes22-list] miles per gallon

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Sat May 3 19:27:53 EDT 2008

For a 2-cycle, it doesn't matter how fast the engine runs.  About a
gallon an hour for a 9.9
Rick
> We don't have a 9.9 but for
any motor it will depends on conditions.
> Adverse currents or
wind and waves on the nose will increase
> consumption. We did
keep records off and on with our old Honda 8
> fourstroke. The
records weren't very exact but the number that seemed
> to come
up most often was about .42 gallons per hour motoring at 4 to
> 5
knots. When estimating range we would round this up to a half a

gallon an hour at a conservative 4 knots. With both of our 3 gallon
> tanks and the spare 1.5 gallon tank full this gave us a (very
> conservative) range of 60 nautical miles.
>
> We
haven't used our new Yamaha 8 enough to get records but it's one
> of the things we will doing this summer. We'll record the hours of

> motor use (in reality this is often rounded off or a
guesstimate) in
> the log as well as the amount of gas used (at
fill-ups just like you
> would with a car) and calculate the
result. This gives us a number
> for trip planning purposes.
>
> Hope this is helpful. Maybe someone else has kept good
records on a 9.9.

> Mary Lou
> 1991 R22
Fretless

09:59 PM 5/2/2008, you wrote:

>>Does anyone know
about how many miles per gallon the Rhodes 22 will get