[Rhodes22-list] Edenton, North Carolina to Washington state...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat May 3 13:22:09 EDT 2008

Caesar:

I have made parts of that trip.  Here are some comments.

>From Edenton to Williamston, mostly an improved and often 4 lane hiway.
Couple of small towns with lights but not big problem.

At Williamston pick up the by-pass as you enter town.  Do not waste time
going thru town.  If you need gas, get it and get back on bypass to U. S. 64
west.  U. S. 64 west is interstate quality road to Raleigh.  However, do not
go thru Raleigh.  It is big pain in the ass with traffic.  I-540 is now
completed from U. S. 64 around Raleigh, it was not showing completed on
recent maps, but it is.

Now here is a warning.  If you take 540 to I-40 during any hours where there
might be traffic, there will be traffic.  The Durham - Chapel Hill sections
of I-40 ususally have heavy traffic and often fender benders which tie up
traffic for hours.

If traversing during any high traffic hours consider taking I-540 to U. S.
70 (notwithstanding red lights, about a dozen) thru Durham and then pick up
I-85 west.  Take I-85 to I-40 about 10 miles and take the big road west.  It
is 8 to 10 lanes wide until I-85 heads south to Charlotte.

Now comes some decisions.  There is a new I-74 from High Point to I-77 just
south of Fancy Gap.  I have been going over Fancy Gap for 30+ years.  It is
an experience that you will not match until you get to the Rockies.  From
the Jct. of I-74 and I-77 to the top of Fancy Gap is about 10 miles uphill.
Your tow vehicle needs to have a big motor and a low towing gear for this
climb.  It is a lifetime experience.  If the weather is clear you see almost
back to High Point...

If you are late leaving Edenton, that is after 8 AM, you might want to stop
for the night in Greensboro or High Point.  If you make the climb and then
want to spend the night you have two places that might work.  The first is
the junction with U. S. 58 at Hillsville.  There are motels and eateries
south of I-77.  The next option would be Fort Chiswell just south of where
I-77 joins I-81.  From there it is only a few miles to I-77 north thru West
Virginia.

One experience to look for on I-77 in West Virginia is not too many miles
into West Virginia you come around a bend and are looking at a giant wind
mill generator.  It gets your attention, but you turn left before hitting
it.

Another option would be taking I-40 west from High Point to Nashville then
heading north on I-24 to I-57 to I-64.  This would be a few more miles, but
might have less big hills and less total traffic.

I have used this route to Colorado several times.  Once you cross the
Mississippi it gets very boring until you get to the Rockies.  Several
drivers and frequent rests stops help.

Ask Chris G for more advice...

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA