[Rhodes22-list] Western North Carolina up mountain to Virginia via I-77

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat May 3 20:58:38 EDT 2008

Caesar:

I have never pulled a boat up that mountain.  Big trucks with a load wind up
at about 20 mph or less.  Cars cruise on up at 65 mph.  If you never have
seen it, it is an experience...

On the downside there are about 4 emergency truck turn outs...  I for one
would not want to tow a boat down that mountain.  Have somebody in the boat
with the anchor ready to throw out...

The road goes up the side of the mountain at an angle so as you get higher
you can look back toward North Carolina.  In the winter on a clear day you
can see about 50 miles... From the intersection of I-74 and I-77 to Fancy
Gap there is about a 2500 foot or more elevation change.  Straight up the
mountain...
See:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps#mvt=h&lat=36.626458&lon=-80.728312&zoom=18&q1=fancy%20gap%2C%20va

As you crest the ridge you can pull off to cool your engine, along with the
big trucks doing that.  Then you have more ups and downs to I-81, just not
10 miles worth at once...  It is generally also cooler on that stretch.
Also that stretch is heavily patrolled.  It is their big source of income...
speeding tickets fund the county budgets since there is little else.  Many
of the cows grow up with legs shorter on one side because it is all steep
hills.  You will see...

Also there is exciting bridge to go over the New River.  Do not look right
or left, just keep going.  You will have to maintain speed because the
bridge goes uphill.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA