[Rhodes22-list] This day in history

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun May 4 22:52:43 EDT 2008

I certainly didn't mean to diminish it's importance by calling it
"policy". It was actually an expansion of an existing proclamation.

Regardless of what one chooses to call it, and even whether or not one
agrees with it, diagreeing with it doesn't make it "dumb".

What part of the proclamation do you disagree with? That it expanded
seizure powers to further enforce an ALREADY EXISTING LAW? Simple
solution to that, don't break the law.

All those people that were "terrorized" by the proclamation, were these
people that were breaking the existing law, and were now in fear that
they might loose their vessel because they were breaking the law? Simple
solution - stop breaking the law.

You know, if I brought Cuban cigars from Mexico to Texas, I could be
called a smuggler by the laws of the US. Doesn't matter if they're
"dumb" or not, doesn't really matter if they're an inconvenience, I
understand the purpose of the law, and why it encompasses so much. The
proclamation you're talking about was such a situation, and it even
cited the particular incidents that helped bring about it's
implementation. These types of things are real easy to break down. Look
at all the "Whereas", and find which ones you disagree with. You weren't
very specific in your objection.