[Rhodes22-list] How well can the IMFmain be shaped and controlled ?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun May 11 15:01:03 EDT 2008

At 02:00 PM 5/11/2008, you wrote:

>I had an older sailor/racer raise concerns about buying a boat with an IMF -
>as it has no battens , he asks how does the sail maintain shape,  and stay
>rigid when needing to ?

"Older sailor/racers" might not be happy with the IMF main. Only a
mainsheet, outhaul and traveler to tweak. You can use these controls
to adjust the shape of this sail but it will never be the same as a
battened main. If you are going to be racing your boat against these
folks, they will always be on your case. If you are going off
cruising or daysailing, the IMF mainsail will move the boat well
enough and be infinitely adjustable for wind conditions. You could
have a standard main with battens if you want but you would lose the
convenience of the IMF main.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD