[Rhodes22-list] How well can the IMFmain be shaped and controlled ?

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sun May 11 16:41:28 EDT 2008

As an older sailor/racer myself you can take it from me, it's not a problem.

R22s are not raced as a one-design class anywhere on the planet.  But if
they were,  it would quite likely they would be broken down into an "IMF
division" and a "standard main" division because the IMF is much less
powerful.  All R22 racing is PHRF racing.  Therefore, the local PHRF
committee will up rate the boat to allow for the slower IMF.  NC-PHRF rated
me 267 with a mylar 155 and IMF.  On a masthead both the headsail is more
important to windward.

The loose footed main has great draft and twist adjustment with outhaul and
traveler , but it does take a little getting used to "no vang".  On my
dinghy I was used to vang flattening the sail to depower.  Duh -- not need
w/ IMF.

PT