[Rhodes22-list] Sailing: On Albemarle Sound

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon May 12 08:55:38 EDT 2008

Joe and Sharon,
Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rummy

In a message dated 5/11/2008 9:14:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
joe.babb at comcast.net writes:

Hi  Gang,
Thought you might like to hear about our adventure piking up our  Rhodes
and sailing on Albemarle Sound.

We picked up our recycled  Rhodes 22 last Thursday. Spent Friday loading
it up with stuff and then  learning about raising and lowering the mast.
The mast was up when we  arrived so I got to lower it before we could
trailer it to the ramp at the  end of Midway Drive. Then we got to raise
the mast and practice launching.  Friday was really windy and the sound
was pretty choppy and Stan  pronounced it too much for the first time
out. So, out came the boat and I  got to lower the mast and head back to
the plant. That was okay since we  needed to do a little more shopping
before going cruising. Our general  plan was to just cruise on Albemarle
Sound for a few days before  trailering back to Tennessee.
Saturday began pretty nice so we decided to  make another attempt. At the
ramp, the wind was down but the sound was  still kind of choppy with 1 –
2 foot waves, maybe 3 foot. Why is wave  height so hard to estimate? Wind
was probably 10 – 15 knots. Sharon and I  motored out into the sound
about 9:45 Saturday morning and sailed almost  all the way to Columbia.
When we got to the narrow part of the Scuppernong  River, we motored the
rest of the way as the wind was dying and we were  getting tired and
hungry. We met a very nice couple at the Columbia town  docks who helped
us tie up. By the way, if you haven’t sailed anywhere  like the Albemarle
Sound (we hadn’t), be sure to take long enough docking  lines and big
enough fenders. Docking lines of 20 feet for the fore and  aft cleats are
not too long. Fenders 12” in diameter are not too big. I  think we are
going to look into some of those big ball fenders that  somebody on the
list recommended. Our docking lines were long enough but  we had to
borrow a couple of fenders from Stan. We ate supper at Mac’s  Back Door
Oyster Bar. We highly recommend Mac’s if you stop off in  Columbia. Email
macsbackdoor_at_earthlink.net for opening times. We  stretched our legs
on the walking trail through the woods. We also found  that public
toilets were available close to the town docks. Rumor is that  showers
are planned for the future.
Sunday we left Columbia bound for  the Yeopim River and the Albemarle
Plantation Marina for a shower. Wind  was dead, dead, dead. The Sound was
almost like glass. So we motored.  Sunday afternoon, and I could not
raise the Marina via VHF (nobody was in  the office to listen), so we
headed for the fuel dock figuring someone  would show up. The assistant
dock master came out and helped us to a  transient slip and ferried us to
the dock masters office to pay for the  night. The charge at APM is $1.50
per foot. Their showers are very nice.  No barbecues are allowed on the
boats however, so we fried our beef ribs  in the cabin. By the way, if
you are coming to Edenton with the intention  of sailing a few days on
the Sound, pick up some Butane for the Burton  stove before you come. The
kind of Butane canister used on the Rhodes does  not exist in Edenton
anywhere. We know. We searched all the existing  hardware stores in
Edenton on Friday before we left. We were lucky to get  a can from Stan.
Monday we decided to head for Salmon Creek which had been  recommended to
us by the couple at Columbia. We left Yeopim River and  found the Sound
to be choppy again and the wind was about 10 knots out of  the East. We
had a really nice dead run down the Sound wing and wing for a  long way
until we ran into a thunder storm after passing under the power  lines
before you get to Edenton. So it was a couple of soggy sailors that
dropped anchor about 4pm. Salmon Creek offers a very nice protected
anchorage that is off the beaten path, so to speak. We spent a very
pleasant night at Salmon Creek, but we found it a little difficult to
get used to the boat noises at night. At one point, I got up because I
distinctly heard someone knocking on the door. It was just the wind
moving something around.
Tuesday we knew we wanted to spend the night  anchored again at Salmon
Creek but we needed supplies and a shower. The  wind was light so we
motored the short distance over to Edenton town  docks. The dock master
was a little reluctant to let us use the showers if  we weren’t spending
the night, but he relented after we told him where we  had been over the
last few days. We went for lunch at Chero’s which is an  easy walk from
the docks and is across the street from a gift shop. We can  highly
recommend Chero’s for lunch. Their N.C. shrimp basket was  wonderful. I
picked up some mineral oil for the depth sounder. We have a  Garmin 498
gps with built in maps and a depth sounder that mounts inside  the hull.
The space between the hull and the transducer proper has to be  filled
with mineral oil for the sounder to work properly. Most of the
controlling depths we encountered were way more than the draft of the
Rhodes, but I just feel better having a method of measurement  handy.
Wednesday we goofed around for a while sorting things out. Then as  the
wind was very pleasant, we had an early lunch and raised anchor to  sail
for the pleasure of it. It turned out to be one of our most memorable
days. The sun was out, winds 10 to 15 knots (later gusting to 20). The
Sound wasn’t so choppy as it had been and we decided it was time to try
finding Mackey’s Marina across the Sound from Edenton. The wind was
right on our nose so I rigged the jib sheets inside the main shrouds and
rolled the jib out as far as it would go without hitting the spreaders.
We sailed for probably 6 hours for the sheer fun of it. Later in the
afternoon, it got a little choppy and gusty so I reduced the jib some.
Even with reduced sail area we were flying along sometimes at 5 knots.
We finally got close enough to the daymarkers showing the entrance to
Mackey’s that I doused sail and started up the motor. If you enjoy a
quiet spot, try Mackey’s. Located on Kendrick Creek roughly due south of
Edenton, Mackey’s is an ideal spot for daydreamers. The proprietors are
extra friendly. The showers are really nice with plenty of hot water. A
new resturant is open on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. We didn’t
get to try it as we left early on Thursday. Charge for transients is
$1.00 per foot. We were glad for our GPS with built-in maps as we could
zoom in to see where we were going. Chart 12205 doesn’t show much for
detail and going up Kendrick Creek if you’ve never been there is an
experience. It’s beautiful. But you kind of wonder where exactly you are
going till you make the last right turn and see a bunch of  boats.
Thursday we left Mackey’s headed back for the ramp at the end of  Midway
Drive. The wind was pretty stiff, at least 15 to 20 knots and  gusty, and
the Sound seemed more choppy than we had seen it before. We  were
guessing the waves to be maybe 3 feet at least. We motor sailed  across.
I was still learning how to guide the boat in waves of that height  and
we were a little nervous about getting past the breakwater and  docking.
Once inside the breakwater we used the engine to hold us against  the
wind so we could ease down toward the dock. Close to the dock I  stepped
off the boat and grabbed the bow pulpit. We tied up and I walked  to the
plant to retrieve our truck. One of the guys from General Boats  came
down and helped load the boat and lower the mast. So ended our
experience of cruising on Albemarle Sound.
Stan’s crew packed the boat  for traveling after taking care of a couple
of items. Friday morning we  left Edenton bound for Tennessee. We stopped
about halfway to spend the  night at a campground in Statesville, N.C.,
with the interesting address  of 114 Midway Drive. Is that weird or what?
We made it home and up our  steep graveled driveway without incident. The
boat is a little confused to  be in the middle of the woods, but we’ve
promised it that we’ll put into  Douglas Lake just as soon as we can.
By the way, if you should contemplate  a trip like this, buy as much of
the things you’ll need before you leave  the dock. The Butane has already
been mentioned. But even simple things  like grocery stores seem awfully
far away from anywhere you can dock. The  Food Lion in Columbia is one
mile from the town docks. The grocery stores  in Edenton are even farther
away from their town docks. Ice is usually  easily available since gas
stations are close by or else the marina sells  it. Just because you find
a marina does not mean you will find a resturant  close by that is open.
In other words, you’re on your own.
Best,
Joe  & Sharon Babb
Harmony is a year 2000 Rhodes 22, recycled this past  winter.

Use  Rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org, Help?  www.rhodes22.org/list

favorites at AOL Food.