[Rhodes22-list] Mississippi River

Jeff Susanj jsusanj at mindspring.com
Wed May 14 19:05:39 EDT 2008

I sail often in a 15 ft. dinghy on the Mississippi above Alton, IL.  From
Alton north the river is constrained by a number of dams and during the
summer the current is low.  During the spring it can be as high as 6 knots
which makes it difficult to maneuver.  The channel is kept at 9 ft. but that
leaves a lot more of the river that can be less.  The tow boats are not too
much of a problem.  They are constrained to the channel which is clearly
marked with red and green bouys and that leaves a lot of river for you to
maneuver in.  The water is nearly clear and good for swimming in as long as
you trail a rope or are drifting with the current.

Below Alton is another matter.  The Missouri river flows in just above St.
Louis carrying a lot of water and silt.  This increases the current and
muddies up the water.  Also, there are no more dams to control the current.
People who do take the trip to the gulf only go as far as Cairo where they
then travel up the Ohio to Kentucky Lake.  From there the then travel down
the Ten-Tom Waterway to the gulf.  Below the Ohio river the Mississippi is
mostly a wide straight ditch with a lot of barge traffic.

Jeff S.