[Rhodes22-list] let the discussion continue 1st. boat 2nd. Politics(always 2nd to boat)

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sat May 17 20:23:36 EDT 2008

Hi Ed
    I did purchase my boat on E-bay Around the 15th of October 2007. I don't
believe it to be a Sailmaster 22 but rather a Rhodes continental. The Hin#
on the previous owners registration card reads
GBX 00101 but there is no plate on the hull.  It is my understanding that
boats built prior to 1972 were not required to have Hin plates. I know it
wasn't removed because I stripped the entire hull from the black bumper down
and sanded the entire thing with an orbital sander using 80 grit paper until
I reached the gelcoat and didn't find any filled holes to indicate its
removal. Then I filled all imperfections with marine- tex epoxy putty sanded
that out and then augmented the gelcoat with 2 coats of E-2000 barrier coat
above the plimsol line followed by 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of
brightside polyurethane. Below the line I used 5 coats of E-2000 followed by
4 coats of VC Performance Epoxy. Enclosed are before and after picts. I'm
finishing repairs on the centerboard and centerboard trunk as per the
instructions I found posted on the rhodes site (thanks to everyone involved
in that list)
and hope to be sailing by Memorial day.
http://www.nabble.com/file/p17297889/johns%2B2007%2Bhome%2Bpics-060.jpg
http://www.nabble.com/file/p17297889/DSCF0106_1.jpg

Now about the other matter. I don't believe the discussion is about politics
bit rather ethics. You're quoting from the Old Testament (laws god gave to
Moses). My comment is from the New Testament (Christ's additions to these
laws) "What so ever you do to the least of my brothers that you do unto me."
Rather than "thou shall not steal" perhaps you should use the argument "I am
not my brothers
keeper".

JOHN Shulick
      Pgh. Pa
      "in Amerika freedom is a function of income, you're as free as you can
afford to be" J. Shulick
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" Thomas Jefferson