[Rhodes22-list] Who was that posting about sailing from Edenton to Phili? See here

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon May 19 12:48:50 EDT 2008

See this post:

Bizarre Indicent on Dismal Swamp Canal
Published: May 19, 2008
 Print

Well, as Greg and susan note, here's one for the books! Be sure to read BOTH
messages below, and you will discover that the Dismal Swamp Canal is open
and ready for busienss!

We are now at the South Mills lock and we were just notified that someone
ran a truck into the canal at the VA line. It seems that they did it on
purpose. One of the boats on the 8:30 AM locking hit the truck. The canal is
closed for now. They do not expect it to be closed for long but you all
should check to see the conditions.
Greg and Susan Han
Allegria
Krogen Whaleback #16

Fortunately, the later message copied below tells the whole story, including
the resolution to this bizarre incident

The canal is now open
>From the stories I heard from Towboat US and Visitors center people, a truck
owned by antother party (perhaps stolen) was purposely run into the canal.
It landed on its side underwater. The lead boat from the 8:30 locking, a
30ish foot Searay, hit the truck, ran up on it and its props tore into the
side doors. The Searay continued under its own power but with damage
expected to undercarriage.
We are proceeding to Deep Creek lock in a mass of boats that were held up
for the two northbound lockings, for an unscheduled 5PM down locking.
Depth is usually about 8' except right at the feeder canal in the middle of
the passage, where it is around 6' for a few hundred yards with a minimum
recorded depth of 5.8 at one spot. We did hit a few deadheads but nothing
major.
As usual the Canal and Visitors Center staff were very helpful.
So add one more tale to tell about the Dismal Swamp route
Greg and Susan Han
Allegria
Krogen Whaleback #16 .

from:  http://www.cruisersnet.net/index.php?categoryid=46

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
addendum:  "It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command
forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers. In fact, I
discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all
my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was
too late.
Accordingly, I am readily willing to yield my command to these obviously
superior intellects, and I will, in turn, do my best for the Cause by
writing editorials, after the fact." Robert E. Lee, 1863.