[Rhodes22-list] motors

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed May 28 00:11:51 EDT 2008

Tom,
If you are going to be leaving the boat in the water, one thing to
consider is how easy it is to flush the motor with the boat in the
water. We recently had to replace our 10 year old Honda which died
from saltwater corrosion in the cooling water passages. There was no
way to easily flush the motor. Newer Hondas have a more accessible
flushing mechanism as do the Yamahas which is what we ended uo with
(8 hp high thrust). Too soon to tell you how we like it compared to
the Honda. We looked at a Mercury that was not easily flushed. I've
heard but couldn't verify that the clearance in the cooling passages
in the Merc are larger than in the Honda so this may not be a
problem. We didn't want to chance it.

We've found that 8 hp seems to be more than enough for any conditions
you might want to be out in. The old 8 horse Honda pushed us through
some strong currents, high winds and good sized waves on the nose. We
could motor easily at hull speed in milder conditions.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Finally in the water in Rock Hall, MD