[Rhodes22-list] motors

Tom Hogarty tjhogarty at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:31:45 EDT 2008

Mary Lou,
Thanks, I will keep the ease of flushing the motor in mind when I buy.  Was
your old 8 a 4 stroke?  Was it high thrust?  If the 9.9 and the 8 have the
same weight, why not buy the most powerful?  Is part of the answer related
to inefficiency at low rpm, ie., if a stronger engine will get to hull speed
at lower rpm, will long runs at low rpm harm the engine?  In my landlubber's
imagination, I think a big motor will save my ass some day.  As I get used
to sailing, I am learning that sailing is probalbly safer than motoring, but
I do want the ability to cruise long distances, maybe 20-30  windless miles
with a reliable motor.
Thanks,
Tom Hogarty, boat still on trailer