[Rhodes22-list] Swim Ladder

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed May 28 12:04:17 EDT 2008

At 10:30 AM 5/28/2008 -0400, Bill Effros wrote:
>My swim ladder fell off my boat last week.
>(OK, so it didn't exactly "fall off", but that's another story.)
>I'm looking at the ends of 4 bolts that seem to be glassed into the boat.
>What's the best way to put the ladder back on?

Does your boat have the walk-thru stern rail?  My 2 cents worth:
don't put it back on.  On my boat, the stern pulpit is not walk-thru,
it's clamber over.  With the backstay, traveler, backstay adjuster,
and stern rail to negotiate, getting in and out via swim ladder has
always been a gymnastic challenge.   A couple weeks ago I just took
it off altogether and got one of the "hang over the side" models
which stows neatly under the cockpit seat.  This has been a godsend
for guests and the less agile member of my crew.

That was Part 1 of the stern makeover I'm doing on Pandion.  Part 2
was installation of a stern anchor hanger for a second danforth-style
anchor.  Part 3 was adding a small Magma grill to the stern rail
(since I no longer need to climb over it).  Part 4 will be
installation of two grab rails on the transom, just in case somebody
needs to get back in the boat and the ladder isn't over the side.

Cheers!

John Lock