[Rhodes22-list] motors

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu May 29 10:20:50 EDT 2008

Bill,

You are basically correct, the 9.9 engine is really a 15 hp engine de-rated
via fuel flow to beat the regs.  The difference between 8 hp and 9.9 hp
doesn't mean squat (as Rummy pointed out) because of hull speed, however,
the 8 hp engine is working its ass off to produce those 8 hp versus the 15,
er, 9.9 is loafing.  We've been having this discussion on my Beechcraft
Bonanza board lately because 100LL fuel is dying and those boys who own the
550 cubic inch engines will be forced to de-rate their power to burn the
lower octane fuel that my old bird burns with no problem.  Weight is one
thing and a whole other issue.  Running a 15 hp engine at the 8 hp level
will make for a long lasting engine.

BTW, I got written-up by a student a few months ago because he pissed me off
with his "stump the professor" questions and I reminded him of the old adage
of how engines really work - SUCK/SQUEEZE/BANG/BLOW.