[Rhodes22-list] motors

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu May 29 11:30:37 EDT 2008

Brad
I don't think we ever had our Honda 8 up over 2/3 throttle even in
the most trying conditions. Usually it would move the boat to hull
speed while loafing along at less than 1/2 throttle so it probably
never really needed all 8 horses. Somewhere the law of diminishing
returns has kicked in and I have my suspicions it may well be before
8hp. Too soon to tell on the Yamaha 8 but I would expect it to be the
same. The big prop/high thrust may change the equation somewhat but I
still am willing to be that it is more motor than we need 99.99% of the time.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD