[Rhodes22-list] motors

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu May 29 16:48:06 EDT 2008

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|220614|292251|316465&id=9
26156&cartId=869059

I have a 2005 Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke.  I bought the stripped model (no elec
start, no alternator) because at the time I did not have a slip and wanted
the lightest possible weight for trailer sailing.  The motor weighs 83
pounds and most often starts on the first pull.  They were out-of-stock on
the 8 hp, or I would have bought one of those.  I understand the 8 and 9.8
are alike, with minor changes.

The 6.5 pitch three blade Tohatsu prop and can move s/v Raven to 6.0 hull
speed at 1/4 throttle.  She will push past 7 knots at about 3/4 throttle,
but it's loud and mucho vibration.  The best setting is about 4 knots sewing
machining along.  It's quiet, like ghosting.

The new four blade prop that Defender has looks even better and might give
your 8 more muscle.

PT