[Rhodes22-list] Actual boating question

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 16:54:31 EST 2008

I like Garmin.  I have bought a GPS-45 in ~1994, sold it with a boat, and
replaced it with a GPS-48 in 2002.  Still have that.  Been interested in a
mapping GPS for some time.  Played a bit with the Fugawi demo on a Palm
handheld with bluetooth GPS (Fugawi on Palm was unstable, expensive, and now
discontinued) as well as "Active Captain" demo on same hardware (cheap,
limited capability, but works).  Hardware problem with both approaches on
the Palm is poor daylight viewability, and not waterproof.

For the waters I generally play in, mapping capability would be nice.
Waterproof (IMHO) in an open cockpit is necessary, although it can be
managed with various storage bags.  I am slightly troubled that the Nuvi 500
does not float, but that too can be managed.  I store my boat electronics in
a floating waterproof bag that I take with me every time.  I always have a
chart and old-fashioned navigation gear handy.  I used to teach navigation
and have navigated across oceans.  I was once taught how to use a sextant,
although 25+ years later, I have no clue.

To get the dual capability in the Nuvi 500 series, you apparently give up
some calculation/display speed in the unit, and text to speech capability
(e.g., "TURN LEFT 500 FEET" instead of "TURN LEFT ON MAIN STREET" in car
mode)  That's OK by me.  I guess I will have to go play with one in the
store to see what the marine mode does, if nobody has tried one.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03