[Rhodes22-list] Bill D. and GPS/fish locator

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Nov 3 10:31:08 EST 2008

Bill:

On the Eagle/Lowrance equipment the transducer is on the end of a long cord.
It would be long enough to reach from the Bulkhead by the V berth under the
port side seats to either inside or outside by the bulkhead between cabin
and cockpit.  The instructions that came with it showed several suggested
locations and methods of mounting.  Mounting could be in epoxy bed or use
the little bracket that comes with it.

So to try it out, I use the bracket to bulkhead.  Bracket is about 18"
lateral from center and I am trying to shoot thru thin part of hull at that
point.  It should be a few inches away from stubby keel if there is keel at
that forward poition.  Instructions showed one diagram of putting it in such
a location.

On a sailboat with a keel, the more forward it reads, the more warning you
get of grounding.  Keep in mind, "Grounding is an embarrassing situation in
which a skipper returns to shore without leaving his boat."

Ed K
Addendum:  Sailing is the fine art of getting wet and becoming ill while
slowly going nowhere at great expense.