[Rhodes22-list] Grounded My Boat on a Sandbar - End of the Story

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Thu Nov 6 17:15:10 EST 2008

Lee:

I agree with your wind scale 100% for the Rhodes.  The 10 to 20 forecast I
was referring to is in MPH because that's the only wind forecast I can get
where I live.  That would equate closely to your 8 to 15 knot range.  I like
things a little active so just when you have to put the top down and lower
the boom is when it's really fun for me.  When the forecast goes over 20 mph
then I normally don't go out.  Typically, the next level of forecast winds
are stated as 15 to 25 mph or 20 to 30 mph.  When this happens I find
something else to do.

On the day in question, I looked at the hourly aviation sequence report for
the closet airport and on the hour, the wind was reported as high as 23
knots.  So about 20 minutes later, the estimate of about 30 kts on the lake
as the front came through is probably pretty accurate.  I think it dropped
down to about 20 to 25 knots after that.  I don't have anyway to accurately
measure the wind on my boat.  I just look at the conditions around me and
add in the "oh s--t" factor and go from there.  That day, the oh s--t factor
was pegged.  However, downwind I felt perfectly safe except when hit by the
following waves, then the boat would lift up and start rolling around some.
Enough so that I was glad I had a life jacket on.  People sailing in salt
water probably see this a lot but this was a new one for me.

David

8 to 12 knots:  Depending on the chop, this might be the most fun wind
window for me.  You can quickly go from point A to B on any point-of-sail.
You can bury the rail if you wish or reef to less than a 5 degree heel and
still maintain a good speed.

12 to 15 knots:  I like to sail with the poptop up and at 12 knots it's
definitely time to lower the boom.  On a close reach it's about time to
start reefing the main if you want to keep your heel under 15 degrees
without crew ballast.  Where I sail, this wind typically results in small
craft advisory due to excessive chop.  It doesn't keep me from going out,
but it starts to be more work than fun.