[Rhodes22-list] Herb's friend Brad Mercer

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Nov 7 02:34:36 EST 2008

Thanks for the response Chris, somehow it got buried in my emails and
bypassed. I just happened to notice it today.

Brad was an enigma, that's for sure. You guys may think I'm
conservative, he makes me look like one of ya'll.

OK, that's extreme, but he was definitely a social an fiscal
conservative politically. Conversely, his personal liberal nature would
put most of us to shame. I've seen him give and do in amazing ways. One
of his favorite "teasing" sayings was "The Bible says we're to care for
the widows and orphans, it doesn't say anything about whores and
bastards." While that's not a notion he actually lived, he said it to
make a point. That we, as individuals, are not only called by God to
care for others, but to be good stewards in doing so.

His blog is still up from the day he learned he had cancer. I'm not
going to quote the entire thing here, but if you (or anyone else) is
interested, you can read it here:
http://bradsbigbadbrisbaneblog.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

But, I will quote a portion of it. Here's what he had to say:

=====

My mind has been racing these last few hours through all the genuinely
miraculous healings I've seen in my life on one hand, and all the deaths
of saints on the other hand, who prayed for healing and weren't healed.
I've been trying to run two directions at once, praying for peace in the
midst of the storm and the grace to die the death of a saint but at the
same time praying to be one of the miracles, believing in the love and
power of God to heal.

And I've been thinking of, and talking to, all the people who love me,
who hurt with me when I hurt, who feel like their lives will be enriched
by my life and impoverished by my death. I find myself constantly
simultaneously thinking "Thank you" and "I'm sorry". Thank you for
loving me and seeing good stuff in me and weeping with me when I weep. I
need that right now. I need to know right now that my life so far has
mattered. At the same time I find myself thinking I'm sorry that my
prognosis causes you pain and, if it proves correct, may leave you
feeling abandoned.

We have a lot of things we'd like to see God do through us over the next
20 years. I'd really like to not be done, yet.

In the New Testament, in the book of Acts, I find two interesting
stories. In one, Peter was delivered from bondage and death; the church,
the people who loved him, were strengthened by that outcome. In the
other, Stephen was not delivered, but died a painful death; and the
church, the people who loved him, were strengthened by that outcome.

I need God to be God and love to be enough for the people who love me.
I'm so grateful that they are many, and that they are praying for me.

=====

That became Brad's motto, and the motto of those around him as he spent
his last few weeks. God is still God, and love is still enough.

He made it back to Dallas about 5 weeks before he died. He couldn't
afford to bring his whole family back from Australia, but he came so he
could say good-bye to family and friends that were still here (he had a
son and daughter in college in OKC, and his mother, father, and brother
and sister all live in Dallas). Gini and I rode the GoldWing out to see
him. He, his wife, and I all went to a small college together. I had an
old Honda 750 back then. Brad wouldn't touch a motorcycle, and Karen was
in love with them. So she and I would ride frequently - even after they
were married. I would regularly offer to teach him to ride, so he could
take her on it, but he declined every time.

So, I decided to have a little fun to lighten the moment when we got
there that sad Saturday afternoon. He lay on a bed so weak he had to
entertain visitors laying down. His mother had to take care of draining
the fluids from his distended abdomen because he was too weak to do so
himself. In stark contrast to the distended belly was his gaunt face
which advertised to anyone that his time was drawing to a close. When he
smiled through all of that as I walked in, it somehow made it both worse
and worlds better.

As I said, the moment needed lightening. I knew I would either find
something for us to laugh about, or I'd collapse in tears, and that
wouldn't be good. So, holding my helment in one hand, and my leather
jacket in the other, I said "So, you ready to finally go for that
motorocycle ride?" Without skipping a beat, he said "Well, wouldn't have
to worry much about getting hurt on it, would I?"

And so we laughed. And though I miss him to core of my being, I know
that he was right, God is still God, and love is still enough.